Sunday 30 May 2010

Word - using and not using tables

When I create lesson plans for teaching I use tables to format the layout of the page to make it easier to read for myself. For example, when I created a session plan for a BBC My Story workshop I used tables to list the resources required and layout the session plan so it was easy to refer to when teaching.

At the time I worked at the BBC and wanted to share the resource with a wider audience by uploading it online to a tutors' area on BBC raw. Before doing this I formatted the document using Styles and removed text from tables and instead listed information. By extracting the information from tables it made it more accessible to screen reader users, who'd otherwise have the information read to them from left to right linearly. Having the text listed instead made the information easier to comprehend.

The amended version of the session plan was branded and then uploaded online.

Update: Kathy reviewed my document, I found her feedback really helpful. I hadn't realised that documents created on a PC and a Mac showed up such differences. Also, she's right ensuring I was consistent with my use of headings and Styles throughout the document. I'll make a concerted effort to do this in the future!

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    I have reviewed your last document as requested. It was really good to see that you have removed the table. You can find my review at

    Review for Michelle

    Take care

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete