Wednesday 19 May 2010

Second Life

In the last few weeks I've been taking tentative steps into the virtual world of Second Life. I've been tempted to join as RaPAL (Research and Practice in Adult Literacy) are holding a conference in July at which I'll be running a workshop and evening seminar. The conference is called Multiliteracies - Changing literacies, changing worlds and I'll be presenting a recent study I helped carry out into gaming and reading, using gaming to engage and motivate reluctant adult readers.

As part of the event they are holding pre-conference get togethers in Second Life. I joined a few weeks ago and it took me back to being a complete internet newbie - I felt fear. When you join Second Life you start in the welcome area and other avatars start talking to you - I was scared! I wanted to go somewhere safe to get used to moving around, so teleported to the Open University's island. It reminded me of what new internet users must feel; complete panic, scared of everyone and everything and little knowledge of how to navigate. Bex, from Cornwall College kindly met up with me and gave me a tour of Second Life - thank you Bex! Cornwall College have been exploring the use of Second Life with HE students. LSIS have just published an informative case study on Cornwall College's use of virtual worlds.

But what has this really got to do with accessibility? Well, at the moment I'm resting because a few months ago I badly broke my leg. After a month in hospital before moving onto hopping with a walking frame, I'm finally on crutches but mobility is limited. Being in Second Life I can walk, run and even fly - it's quite liberating. Added to that, Cornwall College has an island which is landscaped to echo its real-life equivalent and it's made me quite homesick for my flat in Cornwall that I currently can't get to.

Through using Second Life I was able to attend a discussion with contributors from across the world. In real life this is something I currently can't do.

Taking part in a discussion in Second LifeTaking part in a discussion in Second Life

I'm quite excited by the possibilities in Second Life, particularly around accessibility and am planning to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment