Tuesday 4 May 2010

Making libraries accessible to dyslexics

As I work for The Reading Agency I'm subscribed to a number of different JISC mailing lists. One recent discussion has been around making libraries accessible to users with dyslexia. Amongst the common comments such as reducing the risk of fluorescent lighting, there's also been an interesting post about the use of QR codes.

Now I've seen QR Codes before, but have never really understood their purpose or seen a useful application. However, the University of Bath are using them to aid library users to capture information and then carry it with them to find a book on a shelf. Many a time I've written down book information on a scrap of paper, only to find my scratchings unintelligible when I get to the shelves.

A Quick Response, or QR, code is like a barcode. If you have a QR application installed on your mobile phone you can use it to scan (take a picture) of the barcode and then it links your phone to a particular webpage or content. So, at the library you can browse the catalogue, take a snap of the QR, upload it to your phone and then take the information with you to the shelf.

Example of a Quick Response codeExample of a QR code

But how does this help dyslexic library users? I'll let Dr Simon Ball from JISC explain:

"No issues with mis-transcribing classification codes, or with trying to work out complicated names, as they can then just walk along the shelf until what is showing on their phone matches what is showing on the shelf."

A brilliant idea.

Bath University Library: www.bath.ac.uk/library/services/qrcode.html

P.S. My first image inserted into blogger! To make it accessible I added an alt tag description to the code: alt="Example of a Quick Response code"

No comments:

Post a Comment